Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Pioneer Day?

I really don't have time to be doing this right now... but here I am anyway. What does that tell you about me? Well, to begin, I am often a procrastinator. I know others that are worse procrastinators than me, however, because they never seem to get worried about stuff until the very last possible second, or even until it's too late. I start to get a sense of looming doom as due dates come near, so I start dealing with stuff soon enough that I can take care of it, but still not as soon as I would like. Maybe good advice would be that if I'm feeling a sense of doom upon me, I've already procrastinated longer than I should have. I would prefer to be so on top of things, that sense of "doom" would never arise. Anyway, second of all, I am not great at prioritizing. Otherwise, I would be planning my tutoring for this afternoon, or paying bills, or cleaning my house... instead of blogging.

So, now that I've given you a peak into my inner flaws, let me continue with other more cheery issues. Yesterday was Pioneer Day! I had several interesting convesations yesterday regarding this most obscure of holidays. First of all, I would never have thought of it as "obscure" until I moved out of Utah. In Utah, Pioneer Day is a state event. Businesses close, people have barbeques, and parades and fireworks ensue. I even called a bank in Utah, whom we still have an account through, to pay a bill and they were closed in honor of treasured Pioneer Day! It is a lovely holiday. In fact, it has always been like a second 4th of July for me. But now that I am in Arizona, I have learned that Pioneer Day is obscure indeed. Even most the church members don't even give it a second thought. It's quite a change in perspective. However, I had my own "inner" Pioneer Day celebration yesterday. I wished many people, "Happy Pioneer Day!" and reminisced of my Pioneer Day childhood memories. So, yesterday was a lovely "private" holiday for me, despite the lack of fireworks, parades, or barbeques.

Well, I will now go back to dealing with my errands, tasks, and chores. In parting, I wish you all a lovely belated Pioneer Day!

2 comments:

  1. First of all, regarding your flaws, you're being way to hard on yourself! You're a mommie and you do plenty.
    Second of all, your right about Pioneer day being a big day in Utah. My Classical channel became a day of Tabernacle choir and talks! The boy- scouts posted a flag in our yard. In primary Veronica did an amazing sharing time honoring the pioneers, She even gave away wooden pioneer toys to all the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Susan!
    How good of you to put your shoulder to the wheel, and keep the holiday spirit with you far far away on Arizona plane.

    ReplyDelete

You are going to leave me a comment? How kind.