Monday, April 05, 2010

Dyngus Day?!

To start - my maiden name is Szymanski... a polish name. Recently my dad gave me a hard time saying that I celebrate every weird holiday out there, so why am I not celebrating something that is at least part of my heritage. :) He's been bugging me to start incorporating Dyngus Day into our family traditions. Dyngus Day (or Easter Monday) is a Polish holiday and if you read up on it on the web, it's definitely unique. So we pulled out one aspect of it that we thought the kids would love and went with it. Especially being here in the warm Arizona spring weather, we can most definitely make this a tradition... so every Monday following Easter we will have a big water fight in honor of Dyngus Day and our Polish roots. Happy Dyngus Day dad!



The Stand Off

The Attack!





Jake trying to fend off the squirt guns









3 comments:

  1. Easter is the biggest holiday in Romania. They have a silimar event, I don't remember what they call it. Everyone puts on white t-shirts, and they have a huge water fight with dyed water in squirt guns, or squirt bottles. I don't know if the goal is to come out with the whitest shirt, or the most colorful, because everyone looks like giant easter eggs when done. I guess Poland and Romania are close together, I think they have many of the same sorts of cultural things, I wonder what the root in the giant water fight the day after Easter is. There has to be a reason for it. probably something to do with the Protestant religion, but who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Jacobs shorts. They're very sporty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! You and your holidays, Susan. :)

    ReplyDelete

You are going to leave me a comment? How kind.