
That night we made green, eggs, and ham like we did last year... we decided to make eggs with spinach (eggs florentine) instead of just dying the eggs green, to make it a more appetizing for dinner... but Emma was not pleased with the idea of spinach in her eggs, so we made a special batch of plain green eggs just for her. Emma's teacher sent her home with her 'Dr. Suess hat' to use for the evening. Emma was thrilled! She very happily wore it during our Suess dinner.


After dinner, Ben read our favorite Suess book - Oh the Place You'll Go! - to the kids...

I had Bartholomew and the Oobleck on hold at the library before Suess Day but it wasn't ready for pick up until earlier this week, so recently we read the book (which is long, but Emma really loved it!), and then we made Oobleck. I imagine most of you have made this stuff before - just mix 1 cup water with 2 cups cornstarch. We died the water green before adding in the cornstarch to make it the color of the oobleck in the book. Emma and Jake were in love with manipulating it as it switches from solid to liquid and getting really messy. Becca didn't like it one bit... you can see from her face in the pic below - she's not into getting messy. She got the stuff on one of her fingers and she already wanted a wipe to get it off. :)




This ended up being a great Dr. Suess activity, or an anyday activity for that matter... unless you have kids that hate to get messy, like my Becca.
I am not familiar with the Oobleck, but am a fan of green eggs and ham!
ReplyDeleteMy favorite Suess is the The Sneetches, who live on the beaches, but where else would a Sneetch beach?
That is one colorful and tall hat on Emma.
ReplyDeleteGreen eggs always look a little odd, but I bet it all tasted good.
Hey Becca, I'm with you. I'm not sure I would play a lot with that green slim either! haha
Slime, not slim (oops)
ReplyDelete